Friday 1 May 2015

Evaluation

During this project I have created a band name, band identity, tour poster, album cover and album packaging. In order to create these final designs I spent a lot of time carrying out initial research into a number of decades and existing albums.

To start with I used my initial research to create a number of mind maps and moodboards, I used these plan out what works in an album cover and why it works. I then reviewed these mind maps and moodboards in order to create my 6 initial ideas, this is a wide range of different ideas spreading across a number of different genres. Along with my six initial design ideas I also looked a several different ideas for packaging as this can be crucial to an attractive album. Once my initial ideas and packaging ideas were complete I began to carry put some ideas into photoshop and draw some out so I could be sure the packaging would work successfully,

The initial idea I decided to carry on with was for hip/hop group Steady Dollar, this design featured a clever contrast between how live performance were view in the past and how they are viewed in the present, this initial idea was somewhat inspired by Eminem's curtain call album. I began creating my initial idea in Photoshop and once this was finished I began experimenting with my design in order to create the most attractive and interesting final design.

Finally, I am very happy with my final album design because I have developed upon it well in order to create an attractive poster to all. The main example of my development on the initial design is the use of elements from modern music events e.g. flames and smoke. My initial idea was to use scenes from a traditional theatre in order to create a somewhat timeless appeal, I have also used the font Broadway to create this traditional image. I also wanted to make my design look completely unique to other hip hop album covers and I believe I achieved this well. I believe by combining this timeless imagery with more modern elements of live music I have made my album cover appealing to a large group of people, because the timeless appeal makes the album more appealing to older people however the use of more modern features such as smoke and flames makes the album cover appealing to the younger generation as well. Also, Steady Dollar plays Hip-Hop music and this is one of the most popular genres in the world, therefore Steady Dollar will be appealing to a larger group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment